Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.

Otterbein's unvaccinated students challenged by mandate

Students can request exemptions based on religious or medical reasons

Otterbein University is requiring students and staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. 

As of August 26, 2021, 75% of students at Otterbein are recorded as vaccinated, with the remaining 25% either unvaccinated or having not submitted their vaccination cards. This presents challenges to unvaccinated students, who are now forced to make a decision. 

Quintin Power, an unvaccinated Otterbein senior said “I feel strongly about not getting the vaccine because I am a healthy 21-year-old and have an immune system that has already fought off COVID-19.”

If students remain unvaccinated, they will be unable to register for spring semester classes, a process which begins on Oct. 25. The university will allow students to request an exemption from the mandate for medical or religious reasons, but that each request would be reviewed and that acceptance would be case-by-case. 

Considering that Otterbein, as well as many other businesses and health service providers, offer the vaccine for free, what reasons do unvaccinated students have for not getting the vaccine? 

These statements echo the viewpoint of “my body, my choice” that was adopted by people who do not believe in the severity of COVID-19. While it is true that every human being possesses autonomy, businesses and private institutions have that same ability as well. This includes the right to deny service to individuals for reasons they deem fit.

Another common argument is that the vaccine doesn’t grant a person full immunity from the virus, meaning one can still catch it even if they’re vaccinated.  

“You can contract the virus even if you are vaccinated, but you will not die from the virus since your body has built up antibodies,” said Casey Howell, a registered nurse at The James Cancer Hospital.

Getting the vaccine also affects the people around you. Children, the elderly, and people who are immunocompromised getting the vaccine should be about protecting others and not about yourself.


More
Newscast
The Wildcard Weekly Rewind with Ellie Newman (April 27, 2022)

On this week's rewind, hear about The Promise House Swipes Program and Hannah Brown's thoughts on racial equality at Otterbein.


Here's Ellie's Top 5 Things to Look Out For:

1. Thursday, April 28: The Doggie Destresser will be located outside the Otterbein Library from 12-1pm

2. Friday, April 29: The COVID Testing Center closes

3. Saturday, April 30: Women's Tennis will be competing against Mount Union at 1pm

4. Saturday, April 30: Softball will be competing against John Carol at 1pm and 3pm

5. Saturday, April 30: Baseball will be competing against John Carol at 1pm


Have a great summer! Tune in again during fall semester for more Wildcard Weekly Rewinds!


april 27 wwr Mixdown 1.wav Transcript


The Chirp
This field is required.
Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2022 T&CMedia