Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
<p>Lorenzen Horace directs Jordan Bost-Floyd and Armani Burton</p>
Lorenzen Horace directs Jordan Bost-Floyd and Armani Burton

Otterbein offense shines in heartbreaking loss to Capital

The Cardinals entered Saturday in search of their first win on the season and their fifth consecutive win against Capital.

Both teams came into the game without a win this season but they had a lot to lose. Since the rivalry started in 2006, Otterbein had the upper hand on the Comets with a record of 11-5 going into the Saturday match up at Bernlohr Stadium. 

The first drives from the two teams ended in punts, but it would be Otterbein striking first after a tipped pass from Eason Hardouin turned into a touchdown for Armani Burton. The Comets would then answer directly back with a fumble recovery of their own and throw an interception. After pinning the Cardinals deep in their own territory, the Comets blocked a punt and recovered the ball on the Otterbein 1-yard line. The Cardinals turnover would lead to an easy rushing touchdown for Capital, tying the game 7-7 at the end of the first. 

Early in the second quarter, Randy Cochran Jr. started things off for Otterbein with an interception. The Cardinals offense would capitalize with a touchdown pass from Hardouin to Owen Menge. Capital would answer with a touchdown pass of their own, tying the game at 14 apiece.

In the middle of the second, Lorenzen Horace took over at quarterback for Otterbein. After the two teams exchanged interceptions, Horace found Menge for Menge's second touchdown of the game. After forcing the Capital offense to punt, Horace would rush in for a touchdown and bring the score to 28-14 with Otterbein in the lead. Cochran Jr. would then send the game to halftime with his second interception of the game. 

The Comets came into the second half firing on all cylinders. After quickly scoring two rushing touchdowns and the Cardinals turning the ball over on downs in Capital territory, the game would be tied 28-28 going into the final quarter. 

Otterbein took the lead 31-28 in the middle of the third quarter after a field goal by Hayden Brooke. Capital would storm down the field in search of tying or taking the lead but would be stopped after a missed field goal would give the Cardinals possession. The Capital defense forced a three-and-out and would retake possession with just under two minutes left. After pushing the Comets to a 4th and 17, the Cardinals thought victory was inevitable, but after a huge conversion, the Cardinals lost momentum. The conversion led to a passing touchdown for Capital with little time left on the clock.

After three Hail Mary attempts, the game ended with a score of 35-31 in favor of Capital.

Today's Lineup
12:00-6:30am Alternative
6:30-7:30am Money'$ Morning Show
7:30-10:00am Alternative
10:00-11:00am Money'$ Morning Show
11:00am-12:00pm Alternative
12:00-1:00pm Jones's Rookie Hour
1:00-2:00pm Garrett's Variety Hour
2:00pm-12:00am Alternative
Weekly Where and When 3.25.wav Transcript
The Chirp
This field is required.
Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2024 T&CMedia