<p></p>

Otterbein to require sexual assault prevention training

Otterbein is requiring that all current students complete sexual assault prevention training.

The new program “Think About It” gives students a wide range of information and activities related to the responsibilities of college life. The program focuses on different modules including alcohol, drugs, sexual harassment and dating violence. It aims to promote healthy relationships and a safe campus life.  

At around 10:00 p.m. Monday night CampusClarity a sexual assault prevention service, sent an email to all students which implied that only new students will be required to complete the online training program. It featured Otterbein misspelled as ‘Otterbain’ in the header and as part of the sending address.

Amid suspicions that the email was spam or part of a scam, Julie Saker, associate dean of students sent a second email Tuesday at around 1:45 p.m. which confirmed that this program is legitimate and that all students are required to complete the program by Nov. 21st.

Students have been confused about the email and question its legitimacy. Kenzie Thompson, a freshman art major said “It seems pointless and it doesn’t seem like a real email.”

Jacob Barker, a senior journalism and media communications major said “To be honest with you, I thought it was ‘B.S.’ when I got the email.”

One Otterbein360.com staff member completed the training and said that there were questions about his personal alcohol consumption and sexual activity and his perceptions concerning those topics. It also asked whether or not he was involved in athletics or greek life.

Yale University, Clemson University, Mills College, Occidental College and Florida Atlantic University have also required students to take the program.

Time Magazine reported that Clemson University put a hold on this training due to the personal nature of the questions asked within the program.

At Mills College the student media organization ‘The Campanil’ reported that students could have holds put on their registration if they do not complete the course.

In the email sent to Otterbein students, it is unclear what consequences will be leveled against students who do not complete the training.

Saker could not be reached for comment.

This YouTube video is a sample from the Think About It training program.

More
Today's Lineup
12:00-12:00am Alternative
Newscast
Weekly Where and When 3.25.wav Transcript
The Chirp
This field is required.
Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2024 T&CMedia